Executive Director of Dental Aid, Louisville
For more than 30 years, Dr. Dennis J. Lewis has practiced in all facets of general dentistry from owner of a private practice to staff dentist, and from university professor to Director of General Dentistry overseeing the work of multiple clinics.
Throughout his career, he has worked to provide oral health care to the uninsured and underserved. Dr. Lewis is known for the community partnerships he has created to increase access to dental health care and for his work to integrate medical and dental care. Among his many milestones in advancing care for the underserved are:
- Measuring the effects of pre-natal oral health education and treatment during pregnancy on the oral health outcomes of children at 3 years of age.
- Establishing relationships with Northern Colorado and Boulder County AIDS Projects to provide much-needed oral health care to people with HIV infection.
- Authoring protocols and procedures for a feasibility study of training bi-cultural and bi-lingual dental assistants.
- Establishing referral mechanisms for physicians to refer women during pregnancy for oral health exams and treatment.
- Establishing a relationship with Early Head Start to educate care providers in the early recognition and referral of white spot lesions and the prevention of early childhood caries.
Currently, Dr. Lewis is Director of Dental Aid in Louisville, CO, operating three clinics and coordinating the care provided by five general dentists. For six years, he also served as the Dental Coordinator of the Health District of Northern Larimer County.
Additionally, he has served as an assistant professor at the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine, Department of Applied Dentistry and ran his own private dental practice for more than a dozen years.
At the appointment of the Governor of Colorado, he serves on the State Medical Assistance and Services Advisory Council representing dentistry. He also serves on the Delta Dental of Colorado Committee to increase provider participation in Colorado's Medicaid Program. He is the technical advisor and trainer for the Cavity Free at Three program.
Dr. Lewis received his bachelor of science degree in chemistry from the University of Northern Colorado and his doctor of dental surgery degree from the University of Colorado School of Dentistry.
He has been honored with multiple certificates and awards for precepting dental students from the University of Colorado, the University of Iowa and Northwestern University. He was honored as Non-Physician Provider of the Year by the Colorado Coalition for the Medically Underserved in 2008 in recognition of his service to Colorado's medically underserved community; it marked the first time the honor had been awarded to a dentist.