Ten Year Vision:
- Dental disease in Colorado’s children is significantly reduced.
- Colorado has an expanded oral health workforce developed to improve access to care for underserved populations.
GOAL 1: Improve access to preventive oral health care and community-based dental services
Prevention – Increase the availability of oral disease prevention programs targeted to children and adolescents. Funding interests:
- School-based dental sealant programs
- Co-location of preventive dental services into medical care
- Prevention programs targeted to pregnant women and children up to 5 years of age
Access to Care -- Strengthen and expand the oral health safety net so that traditionally underserved populations are able to access quality, affordable care. Funding interests:
- Dental clinic operations including staff, equipment and supplies.
- Capital for dental clinic expansions, renovations, or the development of new points of care.
- Technical assistance to improve dental clinic operations and sustainability.
Policy –- Develop local and state oral health policies to promote access to care for underserved populations.
GOAL 2: Develop new and innovative oral health delivery systems to address workforce shortages.
"Virtual Dental Home" / SMILES Dental Home Project-- Develop and test the Virtual Dental Home Program to determine the financial and operational feasibility and scalability of the model for Colorado.
Click here for more information about the Virtual Dental Home and the initial demonstration project in California.
New Models of Care -- Explore, develop and promote new models of oral health care that address the needs of the underserved. Funding interests:
- Projects that utilize the current workforce differently.
- Projects that engage other health professions (medical, public health, nursing) to expand access to preventive care for underserved populations.